“Now concerning spiritual gifts [or the things of the Spirit, or the spirituals], brethren, I would
not have you ignorant.”
1 Corinthians 12:1
Paul writes clearly on Christian Prophecy in 1 Corinthians Chapter 12. He highlights four realms of prophetic gifts for Christians:
- Manifestation of Prophecy
- Grace Gift of Prophecy
- Spirit of Prophecy
- The Office of the Prophet
This post explores Paul’s thoughts on Manifestation of Prophecy, as interpreted by Bishop Bernard Jordan. Bishop Jordan writes on his concern that the church does not use their spiritual gifts of Christian Prophecy:
Many churches and individuals do not recognize the realm of prophetic ministry in which they are functioning. I believe our Heavenly Father wants to bring clarity in this area so that the entire Body of Christ might become unified.
Clearly, there is an important role for Christian Prophecy that is neglected. So what does Paul’s first prophetic gift mean?
First, anyone can manifest the powers of the Holy Spirit, not just clergy or other church officials. If anyone seeks to let the Holy Spirit enter them for the gift of prophecy, the Holy Spirit will manifest itself in them. God the Father gives the gift of Christian prophecy through the Holy Spirit to the church wherever it is most needed. Bishop Jordan is emphatic that the Holy Spirit can choose any member of God’s Church, even you!
But he that prophesieth, speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
-I Corinthians 14:3
Prophecy manifests itself for three purposes: Edification, Exhortation and Comfort
What do these mean in plain English?
- Edification: A believer’s prophecy must edify, in other words, their prophecy must educate, inform and illuminate. Most importantly their prophecy must uplift the body of Christ.
- Exhortation: When a believer prophecies, they must be advising other believers earnestly, and provide warnings if necessary.
- Comfort: The manifestation of Christian prophecy must console the believers in the truth of the prophecy.
One certain way of manifesting prophecy in your life is to make sure that your prophetic gifts contain these three elements.